Healthy food for our children: 10 to 12 years old
Between 10 and 12 years old comes puberty. This is an age when nutritional needs are particularly high.
From that age, the recommended average intake even exceeds the needs of an adult woman !!
During this period, your big child will put on 5 kilos per year and grow 5 to 10 cm per year.
The recommended intakes for a child aged 10 to 12 are as follows: (everything obviously depends on their level of physical activity, their rate of growth, etc.):
For comparison: the average intake of an adult is 2000 Kcal for a woman and 2500 kcal for a man .
What are the essential nutrients for my child?
According to a national INCA 2 survey, children too often lack vitamin C and D and zinc.
- The iron: is a constituent of red blood cells and each loss of blood causes loss of iron. Girls are therefore particularly affected when they have their period. Ideally, favor sources of animal origin: meat, seafood and offal. Children who refuse to eat meat are at risk of lacking iron. Vegetable iron must come as a supplement and it is found in pulses, whole grains and fruits. A lack of zinc is often associated with an iron deficiency since these 2 trace elements have the same food sources.
- Calcium: From the age of 10, it is an intense period of bone growth, so calcium is essential for your child. the recommended intake is 1000 to 1200 mg per day. To reach these figures it is important to increase the portion of dairy products: yogurt or cheese. With age, your child tends to give up dairy products. For calcium to be properly assimilated there must be enough vitamin D. You will find this vitamin thanks to the sun but also at the food level: in oily fish: herring, mackerel, sardines then in eggs also cheeses and fortified dairy products. If you live in a weakly sunny region, it is advisable to take a drug supplementation prescribed by your doctor (especially in winter).
- Magnesium: It contributes to the proper functioning of the nervous system and muscles . It is found in seafood, pulses, whole grains and fruits.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin contributes to the immune system. It is found in fruits and vegetables. If your child tends to give up vegetables, bet on fruits that they like a lot more. Put them in your preparation. For example, make chicken aiguillettes with blood orange (see recipe) or duck aiguillettes with pear.
So be careful with these 4 trace elements which are essential for your child . Do not hesitate to consult your doctor if you have any doubts so that he may prescribe a blood test for your child.
It's a pretty difficult age: your teenager needs to be assertive and different from you. Continue to make him respect the good family benchmarks: balanced meals and a healthy lifestyle.
Above all, persevere with the schedules: your child should not be past midnight and should sleep at least 8 hours a day.
Maintain family meals too and once a week let your teenager create the menu… Even if he chooses 4 cheese pizza don't worry about balancing it doesn't happen overnight.
Young people as they grow older prefer to have lunch outside with their friends. If they go out for lunch, rebalance with the evening. At fast food, they can choose a burger with fries served with a salad. Do not hesitate during picnics to make them balanced sandwiches: limit the mayonnaise, add raw vegetables (cucumbers, salads), and garnish with ham, chicken, tuna or salmon. In addition, give him a milk: yogurt or cheese and a piece of fruit with water. If you can have one or two of your child's friends once a week to have a healthy meal and why not turn with the parents?
If you have a daughter ... Watch out for dieting at home . Indeed, the fashion is thinness and some girls sometimes let themselves be trapped by this famous fashion phenomenon and they try to erase their roundness with the help of dietary restrictions. If your child occasionally eliminates some treats, don't be alarmed. However, you have to worry when your child removes a category (or even several categories) of food that is essential for balance such as starches, dairy products, fats. Any visible and rapid weight loss is not to neglect. If you cannot manage this problem, do not hesitate to call in a health professional (dietitian, psychologist, etc.).
Should you skip the snack of your 10 to 12 year old child?
Above all, do not think that the snack is a snack. Do not make him skip this meal just because he will eat better for dinner. Now is the time to give him more milk (yogurt or cheese) and some fruit. If your child tends to get out of control and go for cakes and sweets, talk to them to find out why. Is he bored? should he do an extra-curricular activity? or is he worried about something? Try to speak with him to understand.
Blood orange chicken strips .
Ingredients for 2 person (s):
- 300 g of chicken strips
- 2 blood oranges
- Salt, peppercorns
- In a dry non-stick pan, brown the chicken aiguillettes over high heat on both sides.
Squeeze the oranges.
-Lower the heat and add the juice to the pan. Reduce the sauce to a small broth.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve immediately.
- Easy and light recipe ... and Bon Appétit! :-)
To summarize, according to the National Health Nutrition Program (PNNS), your child should have:
Dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese): 4 servings per day
Vegetables : at will - 400 g minimum per day
Fruits: 3 servings
Starchy foods (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, legumes): at each meal a sufficient quantity according to physical activity and growth
Proteins (meat, fish, eggs): once a day, i.e. 100 g
Fat (butter, oil, cream, mayonnaise, etc.): moderate and varied amount
Sweet products (chocolate, cookies, ice cream, etc.): limited quantity
Drinks: minimum 1.5 l per day - if possible use water
In the next newsletters, we will see the feeding of your teenager and an adult. Pampering your child starts with his food first, then pamper him every day thanks to his food.