Can you lose weight with watermelon?
The star of the summer is watermelon. Also called watermelon, it is the fruit of a herbaceous plant of the same name, from the cucurbitaceae family (like melon, zucchini, cucumber, etc.).
When the weather is hot, we never tire of its appetizing red color with a refreshing and succulent taste.
When ripe, this fruit weighs between 5 to 20 kilos. Although we can come across seedless watermelons, most of the time this fruit has black and white edible seeds.
Its nutritional benefits
- Watermelon is essentially water: 92% exactly. It therefore has a diuretic effect which can lead to weight loss.
- It contains few calories: for 100 G, watermelon provides only 32 calories . It is therefore an ideal fruit if you want to lose weight.
- It helps reduce cholesterol levels : this fruit is therefore ideal for diabetes.
- Although its flesh is sweet, the carbohydrate rate remains low: with 6.5% carbohydrate
- Not rich in minerals, it provides 110 mg / 100 g of potassium.
- Watermelon contains 11 mg / 100 g of vitamin C : a slice of 200 G therefore contains 22 mg, i.e. more than 25% of the recommended daily allowance.
- It has a high level of antioxidants: carotenoids give it this beautiful red color.
- It is rich in pectin, which acts on intestinal transit and promotes elimination.
- This fruit is one of the foods richest in citrulline , an amino acid which is transformed in the body into arginine and which plays a role on the immune and cardiovascular system. Anti-carcinogenic fruit, detoxifying and prevents certain cancers.
Recipe with watermelon:
Watermelon can be eaten just as well as a starter, main course or dessert.
Here is an idea of recipes as a salad:
Fresh summer salads with watermelon balls.
Ingredients: for 2 people
- 200 G of watermelon
- 60 g of feta
- 1 zucchini
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 200 g of melon
- Salad: lettuce type
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Make marbles with watermelon and melon
- Dice your peppers and grate the zucchini
- Add the feta
- Prepare your sauce: olive oil and balsamic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix everything to make a delicious fresh salad.
- Easy and light recipe and… Bon Appétit! :-)
You can therefore consume this fruit during a diet. Because in addition to being low in calories, it allows you to stay hydrated .
However, like the consumption of other fruits, watermelon should be limited.
Indeed, although this fruit has many benefits and is excellent for health, overdoing it will not make you lose weight. Count a nice slice of 200 g like a fruit. Which will bring you 60 calories.