How to fight against water retention?
What are the foods to eat and the remedies?
1. WHAT IS WATER RETENTION ?
Retention, also called edema, results in a feeling of swelling mainly in the ankles and feet. This edema mainly affects women and is defined as an excessive accumulation of water in the body.
Water represents 65% of the weight of our body and it is our kidneys that ensure the balance between the water that we absorb and the water that we eliminate (via perspiration , urine or stool).
Retention occurs when we store more water than we remove. This imbalance results in swelling of certain parts of the body especially the lower part of our body due to gravity.
2. FOODS TO PREFER
To avoid feeling bloated all day, here are the foods to eat :
1. The fig is nutritious, diuretic, laxative therefore ideal against water retention. In addition, it is rich in magnesium, calcium and vitamins A, B1, B2 and C.
How to consume it ? At any time of the day, favor the fresh fig. The latter (60 kcal per 100 g) is less caloric than the dried one (230 kcal per 100 g).
2. The cherry flushes out toxins accumulated in the body by stimulating urinary and digestive elimination. However, do not abuse this fruit which is one of the most caloric and sweetest fruits.
How to consume it ? In infusion or simply in fresh fruit. If you have a fragile gut, don't overdo cherries and eat them while cooking them.
3. Asparagus contains asparigine, an elimination stimulating substance. But this vegetable has a very favorable ratio between potassium and sodium. Sodium retains water while potassium eliminates it so we deflate.
How to consume it ? You can taste it fresh and vary them : take them either green or white.
Recipe : Ingredients :
37.5 cl of water
1 dehydrated tablet of vegetable broth
1 bunch of 500g green asparagus
5 cl of olive oil
Boil the water with the dehydrated broth tablet.
Let it dissolve completely.
Wash and dry the asparagus.
Cut the asparagus tips (about 5 to 7 cm), remove about 1 cm from the tail (the most fibrous and hard part of the asparagus).
Cut the rest of the stems into sections.
Blanch the asparagus tips alone for about 8 minutes in boiling water.
Take them out of the boil using a skimmer.
Run them quickly under cold water.
Then place the sections of the stems in boiling water to cook for more than 15 minutes this time.
Pour these last pieces into the blender, adding the olive oil, a little salt, pepper and a ladle of broth.
Mix for a long time until perfectly smooth.
Add a little more broth (if you want a more liquid consistency). Reserve in the fridge.
Enjoy hot or cold. Add a few asparagus on top for decoration
Easy and light recipe And… Bon Appétit !
4. Leek is your anti-water retention ally! It cleanses toxins and fights cellulite. It unclogs organisms congested and tired by overeating.
How to cook it ? You can cook it and serve it with a good house dressing or serve it with your fish.
5. Eggplant is very low in calories but be careful of the fat you add to it ! This vegetable makes it possible to limit the fats absorbed during the meal and slow down the lipids in the blood.
How to cook it ? You can grill it with the skin in the oven . Once cooked, remove its skin and mash the inside of this vegetable with a fork. Add a drizzle of olive oil, garlic and lemon juice. This salad is a delight !
6. The artichoke facilitates diuresis thanks to its very particular sugar, called inulin. It is a fructan sugar which facilitates the elimination of water.
How to cook it ? As a starter or as an accompaniment : boil this vegetable in salted water and serve it with a homemade vinaigrette : vinegar, lemon juice , olive oil and mustard Another idea of sauce : mix the eggplant (baked in the oven beforehand), artichoke funds, sundried tomatoes, a vegetarian bouillon cube, garlic and parsley.
Sauce for your pasta : garlic and olive oil and sauté artichoke bottoms (you can add mushrooms and parsley).
7. Pepper : whether red, yellow or green, this vegetable has diuretic and toning properties. It helps to limit the storage of fat, reduces appetite and eliminates some of the sugars and fats.
How to cook it ? Peppers are eaten both raw and cooked. Ideal for your salads / raw vegetables or grilled.
8. Celery : it has diuretic properties and is ideal for digestion. It is rich in fiber therefore reduces appetite and helps eliminate fat in the stool.
How to cook it ? Cut your celery into sticks and create your own homemade sauce : chives and cottage cheese 0%. Excellent for your aperitifs with friends
9. Onion lowers blood sugar levels and activates the elimination of fat. It fights cellulite and flushes out water. The onion purifies the body by eliminating toxins.
How to cook it ? Onion also goes well with your meats, fish, vegetables and starches so put it on as soon as you can. ! French onion soup is delicious and great for your figure !
10. Green tea : it has slimming and diuretic power. It stimulates lipolysis since it promotes the destocking and evacuation of lipids accumulated in fat cells.
How to consume it ? TO any time of the day and any season, drink tea ! In summer : add ice cubes to your drink .
3. MY ADVICE :
Avoid over-salting your dishes : salt is the number 1 enemy of water retention. Ideally consume 4 to 6 g per day, beyond that, water accumulates in the tissues, and when they are too salty, the tissues attract water and retain it. So our body starts to swell since we cannot eliminate.
How can you reduce your salt intake ? Avoid resaling and use spices to flavor your dishes.
As soon as you can elevate your legs while at rest
Don't wear tight clothes
Avoid showers that are too hot and rinse your legs with cold water
Exercise regularly or walk for half an hour a day
Consume more plants : in homeopathic form or even in infusion, plants have an action on the liver, kidneys and lympathic system. They eliminate excess water in our body . Example of plants : goldenrod, dandelion, red vine, green tea ...
Eat more protein : If you are holding back, your body is unable to properly remove excess water from your body, it is " out of order ". This phenomenon may be due to a nutritional imbalance and often due to a lack of protein. If you are deficient in protein, the blood, composed of more than 60% water, will contain too little, and the water will be attracted to tissues where the concentration of nutrients is greater. Swelling can then occur. Example of protein to eat : white meats, fish and vegetable proteins.
As soon as you can : do a lymphatic drainage which is a massage which consists in stimulating the circulation of the lymph, a colorless liquid which circulates in the lymphatic vessels. The purpose of drainage is to remove excess liquids.
Consult if you think you are having fluid retention because there may be a hormonal problem (some women may have retention during their premenstrual period) Where food intolerance (gluten or lactose for example). The body does not manufacture the enzymes necessary for the proper digestion of the food concerned, leading to unpleasant digestive disorders and may be responsible for water retention.
Put all the cards on your side to avoid or decrease water retention which can set in easily .